Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sweet Salad for Lunch



I needed a quick healthy filling lunch/supper today after being out and about and missing meals

In a rare organized moment I had washed lettuce the day before and had it waiting crisply in the fridge

So I gave my husband a choice - Greek salad or sweet salad?

Sweet salad it was - so here is what I did

I threw a handful of walnuts into a pan with a generous sprinkling of sugar and cooked on medium heat a few minutes until the sugar melted and coated the nuts

Then I filled a salad bowl with:

baby spinach
torn romaine
sliced red cabbage
chopped cucumber
sliced red onion
grated carrot
grated white cheddar cheese
dried cranberries
the candied walnuts

Then I tossed it with a variation of my standard (learned many years ago from my Parisian friend Therese) French vinaigrette

(this is all approximate - you MUST taste as you go)

1 tsp dijon
1/2 tsp salt (about)
generous dose of fresh ground black pepper
1 or 2 tsp honey
1 Tbs cider vinegar

mix well with a whisk

whisk in 3 to 4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil until creamy

Toss with salad and enjoy an easy healthy tasty meal

1 comment:

  1. justin made a salad just like that today for dinner... i'll post pics... his one was INSANE... so filling

    ReplyDelete